Monday 1 August 2011

Doll Project

This August, Den of Angels celebrates its 7th birthday; for the past few years there have been anniversary contests with some lovely donated prizes by different companies. Moderators like to play along in the contests too, so this year there is a staff only talent competition. Entries are due in on August 15th.

I don't tend to take part in the anniversary challenges and competitions, sometimes it's because I'm not feeling the inspiration to take part, but mainly it's down to not having enough time. This year however, when I really do NOT have the time because of my dissertation, I feel like I should take part and I really want to. My original idea had to be scaled waaaaay back because I just do not have the time to devote to that level of detail, but hopefully one day I'll be able to resurrect it. My current idea, the one I'm going to run with, is much simpler and will enable me to do a good job, but also fit it in around my dissertation. Hopefully.

I won't give too much away now, and in any case there will be progress journals on DoA once the pieces are submitted, but I will just say that I am using red dotted fabric (think ladybird) and I'm making pyjamas.

The doll I'm using is a modified Volks F-05, an oldskin FCS head (it's the sleeping Four Sisters head - renamed F-03 after the FCS overhaul), she had her eyes opened a few owners ago, but I've closed them back up because I already have an open-eyed version of this sculpt. You can see the modification on my Flickr. The modification I don't mind talking about because that's not the focus of my 'talent show' offering. I've never done any modding before and I suppose that you can tell from the picture, but I'm quite proud of how it's turned out. I just need to sand the Milliput a little to even it out and then I can start on the face-up - I desperately need some new sealant though. MSC is very rare and expensive in the UK, so I've been looking at alternatives. Games Workshop Purity Seal seems to be the best bet within the UK, you get more sealant per can with Purity Seal than MSC and it is safe on resin. I just hope it dries as quickly as MSC does.

On the dissertation front I'm not doing too shabbily. I still have my 8994 word target in my sights with 6842 words to go, not too bad at all considering I started properly yesterday. I do have a shift at work tomorrow, which is annoying and eats into my time, but it's a time-in-lieu (T/L) shift, so at least I'll get the time back when I need it (the week before my dissertation is due!)

No comments:

Post a Comment