Wednesday 26 February 2014

BJD Addicts Written Prompts: #3, #8, #25

Here's some more BJD Addicts prompts!


BJD Addicts Written Prompt #3 - Fantasy Doll
I'm taking this to mean Soom-style fantasy dolls rather than the company Fantasy Doll.

I think that they can be very nice. I liked Soom Sard and Beryl when they were first released - the only reason I didn't buy either of them when they were first released was basically because I was brand new to the hobby and those dolls seemed really expensive to me at the time! I was going to get a Soom Amber because she was released around my birthday and was vaguely capricorn themed, but her hooved legs weren't as jointed as Beryl's and it would have bugged me too much.

I do like the fawn and deer themed dolls that are around these days and I'm a harpy fan, so any dolls with talons and wings will be a hit with me. I don't have any harpy characters and Soom's MD Teenie Gems with little talons and wings were a bit too cute for me.

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #8 - Size
I used to be a bit put off by the larger BJDs and thought mini (45cm) was around the right size for me, but when I fell in love with the Hye sculpt from Souldoll I had to get used to bigger dolls and I actually began to prefer them.

There are some logistical problems with bringing Super Dollfies around with you (they're heavier and more conspicuous,) but they're a lot of fun to dress and photograph. My neighbour spotted me in the garden taking pictures of Morideryn, my Volks SD13 School B, and if Deryn had been a smaller doll I don't think my neighbour would have noticed much but because Deryn's 2 feet tall she's pretty big and a talking point. We had a nice chat about doll collecting and now my neighbour asks after my dolls whenever she sees me! The visibility of bigger dolls can be a drawback if you want to be more discreet about dolls and not invite comment though.

The range of sizes available is so vast now and it's a nice touch when companies have the same sculpt available in different sizes - I love the Pong Pong sculpt from Fairyland, I have a LittleFee version, but she's also available as a PukiFee and Puki Puki as well, so you can have her as a big tiny, a medium tiny or a tiny tiny! Then there are sculpts like Miyu which you can find as a large doll and a mini doll. It's helpful if you love a sculpt but prefer a certain size.

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #25 - Style!
This is a fun prompt! I love how varied BJD styles are, not just the aesthetics of the artists and companies producing dolls, but the variety of clothing styles and fashion interests of the collectors who dress the dolls. There really is everything from modern fashion to neo-Victorian to Japanese street fashion to African tribal wear to Renaissance gowns.

My own dolls' style is a bit eclectic. My big girls (Tommie, Gwenllian and Deryn) have clothing to fit their roles in the story, like national dress, Tommie's military uniform and school-appropriate clothes for when they're supposed to look younger, but I also have a collection of modern fashionable clothing for them too. I like to mix it up a bit. I like to have the option of having them look totally in-character for the story or having them look more contemporary.

My poor neglected boy, Rupert, has two outfits to his name - his fullset and a parka set, both from Volks...and even the parka's been nicked by my Unoa, Mojito. I have a specific idea in mind for what I want him to look like, but I'm not particularly motivated to get there with him. One day perhaps! He is supposed to look like a 1640's English Cavalier. So far, only his wig is vaguely right...

Mojito has had a change in style. She was originally my rockabilly chick, but earlier this year I changed her face-up and put her in green wigs. I may get her an alternative Sist faceplate for a rockabilly face-up and just change her around when I want her to look a certain way, because I'm not going to sell her rockabilly stuff. I have definitely learned my lesson there - I had a big clearout once when I decided my doll's style had changed and completely regretted it afterwards when I'd let loads of really cool clothing go!

No comments:

Post a Comment