Monday 24 February 2014

A chilled weekend!

Saturday and Sunday have been very nice this week!

Saturday I met up with my friend JS for our monthly lunch and mosey-around-the-shops meet up in Bangor. We went to Blue Sky, which does the most a-mazing veggie burgers - they have a different one every day, I had a mushroom, nut and caramelised onion burger - and a fabulous selection of teas and coffees, locally sourced wherever possible. I tried a Mediterranean Sun fruity brew blended by Caffi Christòbal and enjoyed it so much I bought a packet of loose-leaf tea for myself!

We had a great chat about weddings and things as JS is getting married in June, and a great mooch about the shops. I always decide before I go that I shouldn't really spend much money beyond paying for my lunch, but I cave pretty quickly. We went to H&M where I accidentally bought a cream cardigan, flamingo hair comb and actual lace shoelaces (2 pairs, because black and white and I couldn't decide.) JS was far more sensible and bought things she actually needed!


Then yesterday, I was in work until early afternoon, and then went round to Y's house for movies and pizza. We first watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and had a hilarious conversation about big families being completely normal to both of us, and laughing about weddings.

I like vintage stuff, my boyfriend B likes kitsch (tacky) things, so I can see us having a bit of a retro feel to a wedding, but I told Y I draw the line at those dashboard hula-girls and fairy lights shaped like chili peppers, although I think lawn flamingos can be quite cute. She thought lawn flamingos were the funniest thing of all time, so now I'm honour bound to have miniature lawn flamingos as cake toppers on my wedding cake. (BTW, I'm not actually engaged to be married.) I ran this idea by B via text and he was pretty enthusiastic about it - at New Year, he did say there was 95% chance he would ask me to marry him this year, so we shall see. Enthusiasm over cake toppers is a good sign, right?

While the film was on we spent time with Y's bunnies to help them get used to being handled and being around people. Apollo was pretty chilled but Athena was doing  freaked-out rabbit eye rolling for a while before she realised neither of us was going to eat her.

Then the bunnies went to bed and Y & I went to pick up pizzas. We watched Easy A while waiting for our friend, another B, to finish work. And later on I made Y watch The Sapphires, which she enjoyed, so I felt very pleased with myself.

Next weekend is Y's birthday, so hopefully we'll be going out to Nikki Ip's restaurant. I've never been there before, but I've heard good things, so we shall see!

I hope this great weekend seeds good things for the working week to come! I have my annual review with my line manager tomorrow, so hopefully that goes alright. I hate having to 'celebrate success' and think of specific examples to show how awesome I am at my job, and my manager must get bored of doing reviews too because she can see what level we're all working at when she's actually observing us in action and if we're doing great she's quick to say so and if we're not she'll do something about it at the time, not save it up for a review.

Oh well, at least I have one definite thing to talk about - I was a 'service superstar' (I know...) over Christmas for doing 12hr+ shifts by working on different departments around my contracted hours. I did work hard and it was a nice surprise to be nominated for superstardom. I have a mini certificate I can show for being fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment