Saturday 15 December 2012

BJD Addicts Written Prompts: #4, #9, #20, #21, #23

Time for some more BJD Addicts prompts!
 


BJD Addicts Written Prompt #4: Favourite Brand/Store?
My list of favourite doll makers fluctuates, but the following are always on the list: Volks, Alchemic Labo and Fairyland. Doll Chateau is a new entry - they have some really interesting dolls and eventually I plan to get Poppy a body from them.
 
My favourite clothing/shoe brands are Volks, SugarDoll Shop, Nine9Style, Sunny's Wonderful World, Leekeworld, Releaserain, Dollheart, Raouken, Plume Blanche Creations and icantdance - these are just the ones that pop into my head right now, there are so many shops I love. I tend to do a lot of shopping on Etsy now, it's a nice way to support other people in the hobby and pick up some unique items.

Sadly I've never been to a BJD shop in person, but I would love to go to a Sumika!

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #9 - Scary Dolls?
I've never really been attracted to scary dolls...but what surprised me this year was someone else finding one of my dolls scary! I've always liked things by Tim Burton, illustrations by Chris Riddell, and pretty/macabre things, so being drawn towards calavera (sugar skull) styled dolls wasn't out of character for me. Earlier this year I painted my own calavera, Poppy, and being utterly thrilled with my own artyness I replaced my Facebook picture with one of her at Halloween. I was really surprised that some friends found the picture really scary since I find calaveras not in the least bit frightening.


BJD Addicts Written Prompt #20 - Selling
Selling BJDs can be very sad or exciting, depending on the reasons why you are selling. On the DoA Marketplace you can find people selling dolls because they need the money to pay for operations for their pets or to make a cross-country/cross-continent move or for a few sad reasons and you know that they love this doll and the reason to sell would have to be so extreme for them to even consider it. Other people sell dolls when they realise they don't play with them any more, or would like the money to buy a doll they would enjoy more. I seem to find myself in this camp mostly.

At the moment, I really like all my dolls and there's no one I'd sell to buy someone better, but that is usually the reason why I would put a doll up for sale. I don't have any pets since my dog passed away three years ago, and thank GOD I haven't had crises or emergencies that would force me to sell. There are a few dolls in my collection who I would sell if I desperately needed the funds. I would be crying my eyes out, but I would find a way. My dolls aren't as important as keeping a roof over my head, for example.

I tried selling my SDC Kurt, Rupert, because I felt sad that he sits on my bookshelf all the time and I don't do a great deal with him, but in the end I actually couldn't go through with the sale. Even though I don't 'play' with him as much as I do the girls, and he is the most unspoiled of all my dolls, I would really miss him if he wasn't here. I felt very bad telling the girl who wanted to buy him that I was keeping him because my Rupert is a full set, with all his original things, but she understood. I do feel bad letting people down, so this experience taught me not to put up 'feelers' for dolls or to try and sell a doll I wasn't already sure I wanted to sell.
 

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #21 - Skin Tone
Over the four years I've been involved in this hobby, I've found that I don't like white skin dolls. This does not mean that I don't like caucasian dolls or I'm somehow a racist against my own race, I simply mean I don't really like the paper white or cream resin skin tone that some companies offer. The WS dolls I have had were quickly sold (a Bobobie Cookie and Soom Glot), and the only WS doll I have now is Poppy, but she's so yellowed she's practically NS, which is why I bought her!

My dislike of WS mainly comes down to maintenance. I am a lazy doll woman and I like my dolls on display. Owning WS dolls means that to keep them white, you need to be vigilant about where they sit. Exposure to light and heat makes polyurethane resin turn yellow over time and I don't really have the patience to keep moving a WS doll around the room to avoid the sunshine and heat. Normal Skin (a peachy colour resin) is much more my cup of tea - I've been thoroughly spoiled by my Volks dolls who have only slightly changed colour since the day they were cast.

I'm starting a new adventure though, tan skin! My new girl, Kahlua, is a brown resin Saintbloom Charlotte, and tan resin is supposed to be as capricious as WS. Part of the allure of making a room box for her is that it will shade her from light and heat while she's in my room as well as keeping her on display. I've also always wanted a brown skin BJD. I really like dark skin tones in real life, I've just been waiting for the right doll to come along.


BJD Addicts Written Prompt #23 - Favourite Eyes?
Without a doubt it's Hands Glass Craft eyes. They are one of the more expensive eye makers out there, BUT I feel that the quality of the eyes is definitely worth it. The quality of the glass and the range of colours is awesome. Three of my dolls have Hands' eyes (Gwenllian, Mafonwen and Mojito), and I want a pair of Hands eyes for Kahlua, but I'm going to have to wait a bit because the ones I want are £27 (before VAT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment