Tuesday 26 March 2013

¡Hola! Me llamo Marigold

This is my Monster High Skelita Calaveras' debut!

My amazing boyfriend bought me Skelita for Valentine's day - it wasn't an intentional gift, I bought him a present and he was just going to make dinner for us (which he did, and it was incredible!) but when we were walking through work (we work in Tesco) I saw a Scaris City of Frights Skelita on the shelf and got all excited because she's been so hard to find, and she was the first Skelita I'd actually seen in person.

B asked me if I'd like her as a Valentine's present and I got a bit shy and said yes, so he promptly bought her for me and yaaaaaaay I have a Skelita!

Naturally she was never going to stay in the box!



As much as I love the Skelita make up, it doesn't really say 'calavera' to me as much as traditional calaveras do, so I always intended on customising her, although I think B was a bit shocked that I was going to completely re-do his gift doll!

I started wiping off her make up with nail varnish remover (same as I did for my Cardassian Monster High project doll) and unlike the very compliant Ghoulia Yelps make up, Skelita's make up was incredibly smeary. It ended up being such a mess that it stained her head!

Unhappily, I was forced to mask off her hair and body and spray her face with layers of white paint (thank you Games Workshop!) to cover the mess and create a plain base to start the calavera designs. It doesn't exactly match her bone-white body, since the white is very bright, paper-white, but it goes well enough. It was pretty easy to do her new face-up, although I probably broke all the rules by using pen and ink rather than paintbrush and acrylic, but I got more control from the pen than if I'd tried using a paintbrush. I sealed it all with several thin coats of Purity Seal.

I decided to call her Marigold, since her original colour scheme was orange, and I kept that with the floral design around her eyes, and on her chin. I didn't want to re-root her, so I had to keep within the colour scheme of her hair. I thought it would mean she's more limited in what she can wear, but in the picture she's wearing Abbey Bominable's default snow outfit and it looks fine.

The reason Marigold is all dressed up for the snow is that we have had a freak shower of snow in the UK! The snow is starting to go away now, so I decided to get a quick snap of Marigold dressed up in her thermals in the garden.

I have had a really good trade offer for Kahlua, and I'm waiting to hear back. The doll is a Soom Appini/Nobledolls Rhubarbe, so half Asian company doll, half French artist doll. She's a sleeping sculpt, and I think she'd be a better fit - I think I'm going to make her a third calavera sister with Poppy and Marigold.

I really do like the Saintbloom dolls, but I think perhaps the tan resin is putting me off and making me nervous. The colour is amazing, but I keep worrying about whether she'll go green in the sun, or whether she'll get scratched and I can't sand it out... all the worries. I'm excited about the Appini/Rhubarbe hybrid option - watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment