Wednesday 20 February 2013

When dolls don't work out...

Hmm. I feel a bit of a meanie pants.

I did write a bit about dolly doubts last month and it seems my fears were realised yesterday when Kahlua actually arrived :(

She is a very, very cute doll and the tan colour is really amazing, but the more I looked at her and the more I thought about it I don't think she can stay. It's sad, but this is the risk with limited dolls. You get into a flurry about whether to order during the time you have left and worry about whether you can find the doll again if you don't order from the company...and sometimes this works out quite well...but other times it really doesn't!



Here is a picture of her wearing the Hand Glass Craft 8mm cobalt eyes I got her, and an ill-fitting Monique gold wig (you can't see here, but I am literally holding the wig on her head for this shot.)

So, I have put her up for sale on Den of Angels, and will shortly be doing so on Angels Unlimited as well, (a UK BJD forum.) I'm the first to put one up for sale (they have only just started arriving), so I don't know what a fair price to ask for is seeing as I don't know how much it would cost me to buy another one if I have made a mistake by selling her, so I have tried to strike a balance between her base cost from Saintbloom ($210), the cost of the eyes I bought her (since those size eyes won't suit any other doll in the house and having an expensive pair of tiny eyes around with no one to wear them is a complete waste!), and the things I would rather buy for dolls I have, like Poppy's body costing around $590* or trading for a LittleFee. I've arrived at $300, which is guesswork but an increase of $90 on a limited doll isn't too expensive, I think.

So yes. I feel a bit mean because I made a snap judgement and spent money on something I'm not actually keeping. It's not the first time I've done this either! In 2009 I bought a Soom Glot thinking she was cute and I let myself get swept up in Monthly Doll fever (which a lot of people caught at the time too,) and didn't actually keep her.

Almost a year ago, Fairyland released LittleFee PongPong, this gleeful tiny doll with a permanent 'squee' look, and I was very tempted to get one then, but I figured since it's not a limited doll I could get one any time and since I go on about PongPong lots, especially to B, I should probably have saved my money and bought one instead of a Saintbloom. The silly thing that put me off PongPong last year was that the doll only comes with a boy body and I don't do boys - it's very silly since the LittleFee body is virtually genderless and no one would know she had a winkie lurking under her clothes and it would be very easy to sand it off anyway (guys wincing now, I bet :p) So, trading Kahlua for a PongPong would be a happy conclusion as well.

*Doll Chateau have brought out a brand new body (Y Body-03) which would be perfectly eerie for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment