Monday 15 October 2012

Poppy

I am pulling my hair out with this girl.

My project head (a modded and re-modded old Volks F-05 (F-03 under new FCS numbering)), is being very irritating!

I've decided I want to make her a calavera (Mexican sugar skull), so first I have to create a smooth white base to then draw my designs on.

On Saturday I started painting her with white artist acrylic. It was too thick and streaky. I thinned it, it was too thin and streaky. I washed the whole thing off and today I decided to try again with white Games Workshop spray paint. Layer 1 went on smoothly. Layer 2, looking good. Layer 3...where the hell did that dust come from? Layer 4...why is it all bumpy? :(

I still think spray is the way to go, but after scraping four layers of the stuff off today, I'm too beaten down to try again. The picture above is layer 3 of spray paint, before it went all rubbish.

You can also see how uneven her eye mods are, but meh. I'm not even in the realm of caring about those at the moment, especially when they're going to be spray painted again and then painted over in black. They're the least of my worries. Her mouth is uneven too, but that's entirely original, so if Volks doesn't worry about that, I won't worry about her eyes.

I've been working hard at designing the face I want to draw on her. I think I want the traditional flowers on her forehead, chin and temples, but I do want spider webs and hearts too. I just need to work out a nice placement for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment