Monday 8 October 2012

BJD Addicts Written Prompts: #12, #17, #26

Probably time for 3 more BJD Addicts prompts!

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #12 - Undies?
This comes up quite a bit in dolly circles - whether your dolls wear underwear or not. I have a lot of pretty underwear for my dolls, I do feel that it's 'proper' for them to wear underwear, particularly if they're wearing a skirt or a dress. Usually if they're wearing trousers or leggings they don't because it does ruin the line of skinny jeans to have underwear going on underneath!

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #17 - Unfortunate Buys?
I'm not really sure if this prompt is about dolls, clothes or accessories, so I'll talk a little about all three.

Those who know me will know I am really bad with maths and scale. It took me the longest time to figure out what 1/3 scale really is. I have a photography backdrop of a library, which I love, but is more appropriately scaled for 70cm BJDs. I'm hoping that it won't be too noticable being as my SDs are supposed to be 11-16 year olds, so their surroundings are going to be a bit big for them...but it was a silly mistake for me to make.

I have bought beautiful clothing for dolls only for it to not fit how it should, or shoes that are advertised as one size but fitting another - I class both of these things as unfortunate because I really liked them and desperately wanted them to fit!

Unfortunate doll buys can be a bit touchy, especially if someone has then gone on to buy the doll you think was an unfortunate purchase. Anyway, here goes...my second doll was a Bobobie Cookie (a WS tiny doll.) She was very cute, but I was expecting a doll the same size as a Volks YoSD (here's my problem with scale again...) so she was much smaller than I wanted, I quickly realised WS wasn't for me, and the resin was shiny and quite thin. It's not put me off Bobobie/Resinsoul entirely, but it has made me realise that dolls smaller than 11cm are just too small for me.

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #26 - Pretty vs Poseable?
I've been fairly lucky when it comes to this particular conundrum because the dolls I've been interested in have, on the whole, been both pretty and able to pose the way I want them to.

I'm not against hybridising a doll*, so if there was a face I adored and a body I prefered I wouldn't worry about putting them together to make a whole doll that appealed to me on all levels. My personal preference is stability over poseability. It would annoy me to no end to have a doll capable of tons of poses, but be so unstable that they couldn't stand for any length of time or even sit prettily.

I adore my Volks Megu (on an oldskin SD10 body), but her body does drive me insane. I've replaced her legs with other Volks legs and she is semi-stable sitting down, but she's still incapable of standing unaided. I think with some modifications she should be able to stand, but I haven't had the time or the tools to take care of this. In a perfect world, I would love to get a Volks Super Dollfie Graffiti body for her, because it would be super-poseable, but still compatible with her skin-tone and size.

*To return to this point, no I'm not against hybrids, but I would prefer to keep my Volks heads on Volks bodies. My main reason being that if there ever was an opportunity for me to attend a Dolpa, I could bring any of them with me without worrying about headswaps and whether their 'stock outfits' would fit another body. Volks Dolpas, for those who don't know, are events run by the Volks Inc hobby company for customers who have either bought Volks dolls/products or are interested in buying Volks dolls/products. The event is strictly Volks-only, and you can't bring non-Volks dolls or Volks/other-brand hybrids to these events.

No comments:

Post a Comment