Wednesday 21 March 2012

It was a nice day...

Good Omens has to be one of my most favourite books in the entire universe. That's pretty high praise considering all the books there are in the universe and considering how many books I've actually read over the past 23 years of my reading life, but it's justified, I think.

My paperback copy gets read at least three times every year and I never get bored of it. It's my go-to book when I'm having a sick day, it comes with me on holidays, it's the first book I reach for when I want to read but don't really know what I want to read. It covers all the bases. Considering how many times I've read it, it never gets old and it never dates.

My paperback is battered now and the pages are loose...so to stop any further deterioration (the pages are yellowed and it's been dropped in the bath before today too!) I bought a copy for my Kindle. What a brilliant decision!! I really can read it everywhere now.

Buying my Kindle was also a brilliant decision. I got it almost a year ago so I could keep all my journal articles all in one place without printing them or dragging my laptop everywhere, and she's been invaluable. Did I say she? Well, my Kindle is a girl - I named her 'Ziyal' because there were all these hand-wringing reports that eBooks would be the end of 'real' books...and while I was using my Kindle I realised that it's not a book replacement, it's a hybrid. I could have named my Kindle 'Spock' after the most famous hybrid in Trek history, but I chose Ziyal because as an artist from a mixed heritage I think she'd have appreciated the mixture of print with technology and understood.

I've been a bit naughty, buying Kindle books and downloading the free ones (I bought the Hunger Games books, and I now have the entire catalogue of Oz books!), but I know the train journey to London is going to take a while and B is going to need sleep after all the hours he's been putting in finishing his essay and researching for his dissertation. These will keep me occupied while he rests up!

No comments:

Post a Comment