Tuesday 3 January 2012

BJD Addicts Written Prompts: #2, #6, #13

Today I'm answering BJD Addicts Written Prompts #2, #6, #13

BJD Addicts Written Prompt #2 - Dream Dolls

I've been lucky in that I've owned three of my dream dolls (two are still with me, one has since moved on); My Volks Megu, Volks Kurt and Souldoll Hye were fabulous dream dolls once upon a time and it was hugely exciting to bring them home. I only let my Hye go because she was sadly associated with some unhappy memories. Currently I have a couple more dream dolls, but I'd need to win the EuroMillions before I thought about buying them. I like Volks SD13 Irvin and Little Monica Reynell.



BJD Addicts Written Prompt #6 - Handmade vs. Buying

I have tried to make my own things for my dolls a few times, but I find sewing such small things to be really frustrating. I was very proud of a 7-8'' headsize bonnet and cape I made for one of my first dolls, I picked the material, ribbon and lining and although it wasn't particularly symmetrical, it still looked nice and I was happy for my dolls to be seen in it!

I do tend to buy more for my dolls than make for them; I have a particular weakness for shoes. I adore human-sized shoes, so buying miniature shoes for my dolls is almost irresistable! I have tried making shoes for a doll before but the little cloth shoes I was able to make aren't a patch on the faux-leather and canvas shoes I can buy from professionals. Some of my favourite shoes are made by Dollheart and I'd never be able to match their quality - the shoes look like human shoes perfectly scaled down, rather than what you usually find with doll shoes, clumsy, unrealistic looking shoes with no soles.



BJD Addicts Written Prompt #13 - Spending Limits

This probably sounds terrible/irresponsible/both...but I don't give myself a specific dolly budget for things. If I'm looking to buy a doll, for example, and the doll is very expensive to buy outright, many companies offer a layaway service where the company accepts your order and you provide them with a payment plan. Dividing the cost into three monthly payments makes it a lot less expensive and although it takes longer to get your doll, you can pay it off manageably.

The hobby is expensive in general, and can seem incredibly overpriced to people outside of the hobby. I can see that and I'm not really defending the prices, except that I believe that if you want a quality item, you get what you pay for. I have had low-priced bargains with amazing quality, but these things are quite rare. If I see an amazing pair of BJD boots, I will check around for the average price of boots in this size-range and see if the asking price is fair or inflated. I have actually paid the same price for BJD shoes as human shoes...but putting the BJD shoes beside my size 5s...there's been more detail and care gone into making the boots!

I suppose I do have some limits - It's unlikely I'd ever spend $1000 on a doll or a doll item, but I have spent $600 on one doll before!

No comments:

Post a Comment